Modern American Dentistry
A Great Dentist

Blog

Is Mercury in Dental Amalgam Toxic?

Dental amalgam is a restorative material that has been safely used in dentistry to fill and restore tooth structure that has been lost through decayor other processes. Amalgam is made by mixing a powdered mixture of metals composed of particles of silver, tin and copper with elemental (liquid) mercury. Due to its silver color, it is also referred to as a “silver amalgam filling”.

Why is Mercury Used in Amalgam Fillings?

Liquid mercury is the only substance known that is able to effectively bind the metal particles together to form a strong, hard, and stable compound.
Mercury Toxicity, Dentistry, and The Environment.

Mercury toxicity and its use in dentistry has been a topic ...

Read More →

If you have difficulty using our website, please email us or call us at (818) 886-1012
View the ADA Accessibility Statement